SmartBones Rawhide-Free Dog Chews
Designed to be a much safer and healthier alternative to rawhide dog chews, the SmartBones is a mineral- and vitamin-enriched chicken and vegetable formulation in a delicious and savory peanut butter base that pet parents who have tried it on their dogs say their four-legged friends absolutely loved.
Shaped like a long bone, the bone matrix is composed of a mixture of peanut butter and choice vegetables, wrapping the delicious real chicken inside. Included in the formulation are sweet potatoes, carrots, and peas. Unfortunately, we’re a little concerned that the first ingredient is corn which seems to suggest that only a small proportion of the formulation is chicken meat. In addition to corn, the product also lists a few other ingredients that should never be used in any form of doggie treat such as artificial flavors and food coloring.
The good news is that the SmartBones makes up for it by enriching the formula with minerals and vitamins such as calcium, zinc, manganese, ferrous sulfate, vitamin E, thiamine, pyridoxine, riboflavin, vitamin B12, and niacinamide. These minerals and vitamins should help support the various physiologic and metabolic processes of the dog’s body.
Each SmartBones dog chew comes with 45 calories consisting of about 9% protein which can be recomputed into 10.5% in dry weight basis. Its fat content is only 0.2% for a combined protein-fat composition of only 10.7%. This puts its carbohydrate content somewhere in the range of 75%. For some pet parents who put emphasis on proteins for their dogs, this might not really be a worthy treat.
Nevertheless, the SmartBones’ delicious taste and easy digestibility make it a great alternative to the usual rawhide dog chew. Caution should be observed whenever giving these, however, since any other dog chew has the potential to cause obstruction in the dog’s gut.