KONG Cozies Dog Squeaky Toy
Aipper Dog Puppy Chew Toys
HDP JW Dogs In Action
The market for puppy teething toys is vast. Puppies love to chew on anything and everything so dog owners buy dog teething toys in an effort to stop their new puppy from feasting on the legs of their furniture, their cushions, and their bins – amongst many many other household items.
This is a guide to the best chew toys for puppies that are available on the market. They are all suitable for puppies and have been made with teething in mind to help alleviate any pain that your poor little pups are in. It’s a must-read for anyone having trouble training their puppy to learn what is not to be chewed and what can be.
The Best Chew Toy for Puppies
KONG PUPPY Durable Rubber Chew and Treat Toy
The KONG PUPPY durable rubber chew and treat toy is the best chew toy for puppies out there. It’s great for so many different reasons, the main being that it manages to teach puppies what is appropriate chewing behaviour and what is not. It keeps puppies entertained too so offers them mental stimulation that will keep their inquisitive natures away from chewing your household goods.
It is made from specialised rubber that does not hurt puppy teeth or gums as well as being difficult to destruct. Used properly, KONG PUPPY chew toys can be used to help decrease separation anxiety, assist in crate training and stops misbehaviour as the result of boredom.
Specially formulated for puppy teeth and gums
Recommended by veterinarians and trainers the world over
Uneven surface makes it have an unpredictable bounce perfect for games of fetch
Perfect for stuffing with dog treats
- Weight1.76 oz
Nylabone Puppy Starter Packs Puppy Chew Toys
The Nylabone starter pack of chew toys is a fantastic pack of toys to start your little pup off with. They’re designed with sore gums in mind so they will help your dog and distract him from chewing anything he shouldn’t be. The texture also helps clean your puppy’s teeth which is a characteristic of many Nylabone toys – periodontal health is key to the long term health of your dog, yet so many puppies suffer from gum disease by the age of just two.
Flexible – helps your pup with teething and keeping puppy teeth clean
Textured – the perfect way for a puppy to soothe sore gums
Stimulating – helps keep your pup busy and distracted to help prevent destructive chewing
Bacon-flavored – means that puppies are attracted to this dog toy from the get-go
Nylabone is a reputable USA brand
- Weight4 oz
N-Bone Puppy Teething Ring Chicken Flavor
A teething ring is a great way to keep puppies entertained as well as a method of helping soothe their aching gums when teething. These chicken flavoured teething rings from N Bone are some of the best on the market due to the added vitamins and minerals to help keep your dog in tiptop shape.
Teething rings help cut your puppy’s new teeth whilst keeping them distracted from chewing where they shouldn’t elsewhere. They’re designed in a way that floppy puppy paws can still manage to use too and their pliable nature means that they won’t damage your puppy’s immature teeth.
Fortified with DHA Omega 3 fatty acids for a healthy dog
Edible and digestible with delicious chicken flavor
Made with added vitamins and minerals for a nutritious treat food
Natural, gluten-free with no artificial preservatives, salt or sugar
- Weight8.5 oz
Aipper Dog Puppy Chew Toys
This huge pack of dog toys is an ideal way to keep your dog’s teeth away from your shoes. With 12 toys to choose from, all of which are highly interactive, your puppy will never be bored again making this selection pack some of the best dog toys available.
Included is an IQ Treat ball, flyer dog toy, rope toys, puppy chew toys, a 2.4-inch bounce rubber balls that can float on water, squeaky toys and shoe toys all of which encourage your dog to use both its mind and body and consequently out of mischief. In addition, many of the toys included are designed to help clean your dog’s teeth to keep their gums stay healthy as well as soothe their gums if they are teething.
Non toxic – all materials used are safe for dogs
Durable – none of the toys are easy to break so your dog can play safely
Assortment of colours – keeps your dog’s attention for longer
Money back guarantee – get your money back after 45 days of use if you are unhappy
12 month warranty
- Weight1.7 lbs
Nylabone Puppy Chew X Bone Beef Chew Toy
This clever little toy will entertain your dog for hours and burn off any excess energy he or she may have that gets him into trouble again and again. Dogs love the taste and feel of it so they keep chewing and return to it time and time again. Nylabone is known for its textured toys that help dogs with teething problems. This toy, in particular, can be put in the fridge or the freezer to help soothe aching gums even further.
Flexible – keeps your puppy’s teeth clean and his or her breath staying fresh
Textured finish results in a puppy chew toy that massages sore gums
Entertains your puppy to redirect its attention from destructive chewing
Beef flavoured to keep your dog toys interesting
Suitable puppy chew toy for dogs up to 15 pounds
- Weight0.8 oz
Youngever 8 Durable Dog Chew Toys
This selection of dog chew toys is a great starter pack for novice puppy owners. It has a wide variety of toys that dogs love and can be used in various ways to keep them entertained – either when playing with you or on their own.
The rubber ball bounces in different directions so that your dog can never get bored of a predictable bounce – keeping them running for longer and burning all that excess energy. The teething bone has a bacon flavour to ensure their interest. Lastly, all the rope toys can be used to play with your dog in classic tug of war games that they love. However, tug with rope toys is also great for helping dogs in the fight against plaque on their teeth and as a consequence is ideal for maintaining healthy gums.
Non-toxic materials – dog-friendly so you can be assured of safe play
Durable – made to last, these toys will go the distance
Variety of toys are perfect for interactive play
Money back guarantee – if you’re not happy with your purchase, Youngever will refund you
- Weight1.8 lbs
Nylabone KeyRing Bone Teething Chew Toy
This key ring is designed to encourage puppies’ non-destructive chewing habits by also satiating their natural instinct to chew. In turn, this encourages good behaviour within your pup that means you will reap the benefits of training him from an early age.
Flexible material to help teething puppies with their sore gums
Bristles help in the fight against plaque and tartar
Textured finish massages gums to help promote healthy teeth
Non-toxic so that you can let your dog chew away safe in the knowledge that their toy is doing them no harm
- Weight3.2 oz
KONG Cozies Dog Squeaky Toy
This adorable toy is perfect for new puppies. It can really help in crate training as a source of comfort but is also ideal for a game of fetch that helps you bond with your pup and build up a rapport as owner and pet.
KONG is one of the most reputable dog toy brands out there and these cuddly squeaky toys are an excellent example of what they produce. This is a pet safe dog chew toy that will go the distance with your puppy right through to adulthood.
Soft but made with extra layers of material so that they last
Available in 10 characters that you purchase depending on your dog’s taste!
- Weight1.92 oz
Nylabone Bacon Flavored Puppy Teething Pacifier
Like all Nylabone teething products, this one is designed with puppies and their aching gums in mind, as well as their natural instinct to chew everything in sight.
Assorted colours to keep your puppy entertained
Intriguing shapes so your dog’s mind is kept busy
Bristles to help clean teeth and prevent tartar buildup
Flexible for gums that are sore from teething
- Weight3.52 oz
Yotache Small Dog Toys Set Ball Rope and Chew Puppy Toys
This is a colourful selection of chew toys for puppies that should keep even the most destructive of pups out of trouble. The different varieties of the toy not only keep dogs busy and entertained, they help them teethe in various ways as well as promoting good oral health. Included are squeaky toys, educational toys, a bouncing ball and a tug rope.
Available in different sizes depending on breed
Durable – even the strongest of mouths can’t tear these toys apart easily
Non toxic – your dog can play away with these toys without coming into any harm
- Weight9.9 oz
Dog Toy Pet Stages Cool Teething Stick
This colourful dog chew stick will keep your dog entertained as it crackles whilst he or she chews. Dogs will love the tags on the end as well as the challenge of ripping this almost indestructible toy apart. Its shape makes it perfect for games of fetch that will help you and your puppy bond. It is in games like this that your owner and pet relationship is built, which is imperative for a trouble-free future.
The outer shell of the stick freezes to support relief for sore gums
When frozen, it becomes crunchy so that your puppy’s chew instinct is satisfied.
Available in multipacks
- Weight0.64 oz
KONG Duck Dog Toy
This cute little duck dog toy is perfect for puppies. It can be used to aid with crate training and as a source of comfort for dogs that are otherwise a little anxious. Some owners stay clear of soft toys for fear of their innards being spread everywhere, but this duck dog toy is not stuffed with any messy filling.
Variety of sizes so owners can choose the best size for their dog and breed
Non-toxic materials – this dog chew toy is made from materials that are not harmful to dogs
Replaceable squeakers – this helps lengthen the life of your toy
- Weight0.64 oz
Nylabone Petite Puppy Chew Toy
The nodules on this bright pink puppy chew toy are perfect for the promotion of good oral hygiene in your dog. They help fight plaque and reduce tartar buildup. Plus it’s been designed to keep chewing puppies busy and amused to encourage non-destructive chewing habits.
Available in blue or pink
Recommended for puppies or dogs up to 15 pounds
Soft and flexible material helps puppies with tender gums
- Weight0.32 oz
Nylabone Bacon Flavored Double Action Teething Chew Toy
This bacon flavoured puppy chew toy is a safe bet to keep all puppies entertained and away from chewing the furniture. Owners can also be happy that the design of the toy itself helps dogs keep their teeth and gums healthy. As ever with Nylabone products, this toy can be used as a training aid to discourage chewing of household objects.
Designed for teething and actively chewing puppies
Raised ridges and nubs within the design help clean teeth
Comes in 2 sizes: petite and medium
- Weight6.6 oz
HDP JW Dogs In Action
The unusual design of this toy makes it both durable and highly interactive when stuffed with food or strips of rawhide. When used in this way, it can provide puppies with a fun chew toy that will keep them from trouble as they will not get bored. It makes a great first teething toy for puppies.
Durable so can be used as both a chew and a tug toy
Suitable for small breed dogs too, not just puppies.
Made from a natural rubber material that bounces back into shape even after a hard day of being chewed
- BrandJW Pet
- Weight7 oz
Best Chew Toys for Puppies Buying Guide & FAQ
What To Look For in the Best Toys for Teething Puppies
The best toys for teething puppies are ones that are made with puppy teeth in mind. Anything else could be too hard for your puppy’s developing mouth and jaw. Otherwise, the following characteristics help make a puppy chew toy that your dog will enjoy day after day:
- Entertaining - look for toys that bounce in unpredictable motions, toys that smell interesting and toys that are easy for the dog to chew, You want your dog to be kept busy for as long as possible.
- Helps satiate their instinctual need to chew - dogs explore the world through chewing, but this is made worse when they are teething. The best chew toys for puppies are the ones that stop them chewing your household goods and instead are happy to chew their puppy toys.
- Durability - cheaper and ill-made dog teething toys can be destroyed by a little puppy. Durable dog toys are ones to look out for so that you aren’t returning to the pet store day after day buying toys to entertain your dog so that he or she won’t go near your shoes or furniture.
- Soft enough - to help sore gums, but tough enough to last - whilst we all want durable dog toys to save money, they can’t be so hard or indestructible that they actually hurt your puppy’s teething gums. Look out for toys that a happy balance of durability versus a firmness that they can sink their teeth into. Puppy teething toys should soothe the pain of sore inflamed gums.
- Great taste - Food is always a great way to entertain dogs, teething or not. So look out for toys that you can stuff food into or prep with treats that will keep your puppy happy.
What to Avoid in Toys For a Teething Puppy
Dog owners will always buy dog toys for their puppies with the best intentions but that does not necessarily translate into buying the best chew toys for puppies. The following attributes are best to avoid when buying chew toys for puppies.
- Toys that are too big or small - always endeavour to buy dog chew toys that are appropriate for their size as well as their breed. It is a way to help ensure your puppy’s safety.
- Toys with squeakers - Whilst not all toys with squeakers are dangerous, they certainly are a heightened risk. Dogs and puppies tend not to stop until they have extricated the squeak part which can be dangerous when dislodged from the toy as it can become a choking habit.
- The best puppy toys will be BPA free. BPA is a harmful chemical and can be toxic to dogs even in miniscule amounts. Look for puppy chew toys that have been made without the use of BPAs therefore.
- Toys that can be torn into pieces or have many parts - Toys that can be torn into pieces or have many parts can be exceedingly dangerous for puppies and dogs who are likely to eat the small parts that come away.
- Toys for children or soft stuffed toys. Puppy toys are made to different standards so toys for children or a regular stuffed toy is not suitable for dogs.
- Anything that looks like a household item - any puppy chew toy that may encourage your dog to eat or chew on something in the house is best to be avoided. This is the very thing that the best chew toys for puppies will stop happening.
Keep Your Puppy’s Interest in Their Toys
Keeping your puppy’s interest in their toys is a failsafe way of keeping your own home safe from their teething ways. The following methods are great ideas to employ to ensure your furniture remains bite free:
- If you catch your dog chewing something he shouldn’t, immediately distract him by directing his attention to one of his own toys that he can play with and chew to his heart’s content.
- Have a wide selection of toys on offer. In doing so, your dog won’t be bored and look to finding ‘fun’ elsewhere in your home.
- Have a variety of different shaped toys and textures. This way your dog’s attention will be kept for longer.
- Put toys in the freezer. This will alleviate your puppy’s poor hurting gums and thus keep them chewing on it for longer - and importantly not chewing somewhere he or she shouldn’t!
- Rotate toys - by rotating toys, your dog will have a constant source of entertainment and will never get bored. It is when they get bored that dogs find their own entertainment by ripping shoes or other household items to shreds.
- Interactive - one of the best ways to keep your puppy’s interest in his or her toys is to make them interactive. For puppies, this will inevitably mean stuffing toys with food or treats that he or she has to excavate.
Best Chew Toys for Puppies FAQ:
Q: Are chew toys for puppies safe?
A: Chew toys for puppies are safe as they should be made in accordance with strict standards. However, these standards will be set within the country of manufacture so it is prudent to buy your puppy chew toys from reputable brands (like the ones mentioned above) that can be relied upon to be safe. Never leave your dog unsupervised with any puppy toys, however.
Q: How do I know which size toy to buy for my dog?
A: Most toys will come with a size instruction. It is best to pay close attention to these guidelines as the size of a dog can have a real impact on how they interact with puppy toys and dog toys. It can be dangerous to let a dog play with a dog chew toy, or otherwise, that is meant for a dog a lot bigger or smaller.
Q: Should I supervise my dog while he's chewing a toy?
A: Always. Never leave a dog unsupervised whilst chewing a toy. There are simply too many things that could happen whilst your back is turned. Dogs are unpredictable animals who can find danger in even the most harmless of objects.
Our Top Pick
Our top pick is the KONG PUPPY Durable Rubber Chew and Treat Toy. It is easily one of the best chew toys for puppies owing to its ability to last almost a lifetime and being nigh on indestructible. Plus, it is close to impossible for your puppy to tear parts off so the threat of choking is largely eradicated.
Plus when filled with food or some of the dog treats that Kong makes, it can entertain even the most curious of puppies for an absolute age. Additionally, with its uneven shape, KONG dog toys have a highly unpredictable bounce that will keep your puppy busy chasing during games of fetch.